Thursday, February 20, 2014

President of the Club

I have attained the distinguished post of president of our Toastmasters club.  While this was surely an honor, I would have preferred to be duly elected, rather than inheriting the post as VPE, and therefore next in line.  Still, on my inaugural evening, I was greeted with enthusiastic applause by the group, and proceeded to do my "thing."  Being who I am, I dove into my role head first, running a tight ship, paying close attention to all that was going on, and as I also had the role of General Evaluator for the evening, I gave the membership my usual thorough review of the evening.  I then waited for the secretary to render his usual thorough minutes the following day, but when I noticed that he had not mentioned my comments as General Evaluator, I decided to send an email to the membership as a refresher of the points I had made.

That's when my troubles began.

During my inaugural meeting, the Timer (a new member) asked if our club followed the practice of clapping when a speaker exceeded his or her time by 30 seconds.  I responded that we had not been doing that, but that I would make a unilateral decision that we should do so.

The criticism that returned in my email box was astonishing.  Two members who were absent during the meeting offered their opinions that not only should I have held a vote on such a change, but that the 30-second clap down was "rude" and "UNCIVIL" (quotation marks and caps their input).  Further, I was roundly chastised for making "so many changes" and that to invoke Toastmasters International rules was over the top.  Other people were slightly more circumspect, responding to the email with curtness or cagey impressions.

I felt mortified.  Tough as I am, I cried. What did I get myself into, I thought? Where is the support? Why did these people - especially the absent members - feel it so necessary to reprimand me?

I realize that I'm a bit too sensitive.  After all, I had never played president, and was prematurely thrown into this role.  I realize, too, that my own preference is to run a "professional" meeting, a training venue for proper presentations, proper speaking, with a good vocabulary and good use of the English language, with good manners, etc., while the vast preference among so many Toastmasters clubs is the casual, fun, easy-does-it experience.  I wonder if people are search for a social club.

Nothing is written in stone, I know.  But I would rather be efficient, and bring something to the table without so much resistance.  As a member of the club for the past three years, one would think that the membership already knows me and my style, and would have been prepared for my style of leadership.

I'm willing to loosen up, and have as much fun as possible, and in future meetings, will do just that.  However, I, too, want to grow in my experience at Toastmasters, and if I'm held down, that will cost me.