Sunday, July 14, 2013

From Free to Fee

Beginning a speaking career requires the same discipline as starting any other kind of business, including budgeting one's finances, time and energy.  Since I enjoy doing several things simultaneously, including writing and transcribing, not to mention my other pursuits, it is inconceivable that I would simply step off my current lifestyle in favor of devoting all my time to professional public speaking.  But there are several things I can do to streamline the journey and move forward.

1.  Work up a 20-minute presentation based on my message (Diet Proof Your Life).
2.  Contact organizations that meet regularly, such as:
  • Kiwanis
  • Lyons Club
  • Rotary
  • Chambers of Commerce
  • Healthcare organizations

These organizations have an inventory of presenters, and are always looking for presenters for their meetings.

Regarding fees, if an organization does not pay a fee, ask for an honorarium (a donation from the board) for your presentation.

Always follow up with a letter of confirmation and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment